There is one Kiosk Ad space still available. Applications accepted on a first-come/first-served basis. For more information and/or an application contact Eureka Parks at 479-253-2866 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Basin Spring Park, the legendary Indian healing spring known to Native Americans, early pioneer settlers, and used for hundreds of years is the heart of Eureka Springs. The Native Americans camped in this valley, hunted the bountiful game, and drank the spring waters.
The first crowds of health seekers encamped here in 1879. Drawn by the promise of miraculous cures, the city was named on this sited July 4, 1879. The first governing body, the Committee of Twelve was elected here in August 1879. the first town site survey was platted with the spring and surrounding reservation of protected land as its centerpiece. A plan of lots, blocks and streets, extending in all directions, encompassed many other nearby springs. In 1890, the Eureka Springs Board of Public Affairs created a formal setting for the spring with limestone walls, fountains, and walks.
About 1921, the original wood gazebo was replaced with the band shell still regularly used for public performances. Following World War 1, the “Doughboy” statue was placed as a memorial to local men who served their country.
Basin Spring Park offers a picture-perfect resting place for busy shoppers. There is often live music performed in the historic bandshell. Basin Spring which now lies beneath the park, was the famous healing spring that drew visitors from all over the world at the turn of the 20th century.
The Rock seen above may be viewed by accessing the stairs in Basin Park and walking the short trail where you may also view the Landmark Marker shown below.
Basin Spring Park Project is an ongoing project started for the purpose of opening the spring, See Basin Project page.