BACKGROUND AND RATIONALE for A "SPRINGS COMMITTEE"
Eureka Springs known as the "City that Water Built" was established because of the restorative and healing properties of its Springs. Early accounts in newspaper articles detail the mineral content and cures attributed to the specific springs. Spring waters were entered in (and won) international competitions. These Springs, sacred to Native American tribes, became known to settlers in the 1870's.
In 1980, the Arkansas State Health Department prohibited access to the springs waters due to pollution. The sources of the pollution were development, faulty sewer lines, etc. To solve the predicament, the springs were fenced to prevent access. Water fountains plumbed to city water lines were placed at each spring.
In the early 1980's, a concerted effort by a group, Concerned Citizens endeavored to educate the citizens of Eureka Springs to the importance for individual stewardship of our local watershed. The Springs Committee have been working diligently to have a definitive plan to reconcile our city's most precious resource, in our fragile ecosystem known as KARST.
In 2005, the Springs Committee of the Parks and Recreation Commission was founded with the purpose of bringing the springs forward.
The Springs Committee was recently presented with a Preservation Award from the Eureka Springs Preservation Society for their successful first-time "Celebrate the Springs" event held over 3 days in June of 2012!